Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the very back teeth on either side of your upper and lower jaws. They are the last teeth to erupt and are usually seen between the ages of 17 and 25 years.
They can sometimes cause problems, as the jaws are often not large enough to allow wisdom teeth to take up their correct position. As a result they can be completely or partially impacted in the jaw. Fully or partially impacted teeth can often cause problems such as:
- Infections in the overlying gum
- Damage to the tooth in front due to the pressure from the impacted tooth
- Complications to preexisting orthodontic treatment
- Difficulty in cleaning the back teeth leading to decay
Often, fully erupted wisdom teeth can be removed simply and easily, however, for impacted wisdom teeth a surgical approach may be necessary. This can involve lifting some of the gum around the tooth and then removing the tooth. The gum is then sutured back into place.
Some swelling and discomfort may be experienced for a few days afterwards, especially when surgery has been involved. However, if you follow your dentist’s instructions you will greatly reduce the risk of complications.
The Importance of Wisdom Teeth Removal
- Infection can occur if an impacted wisdom tooth is not removed
- If teeth are partly covered and there is an issue with eruption, they can become at risk of debris accumulating and possible infection appearing
- Symptoms such as swelling, pain, bad odour, complication in opening the jaw, and other illnesses related to your wisdom teeth may result in severe infection if the treatment is neglected
Smoking and A Wisdom Tooth Removal
If you smoke, it’s advisable to avoid the habit for a couple of days after wisdom teeth surgery. Smoking can delay your healing process and increase your risk of dry socket.
In the news
In addition, the tar from cigarette smoke stains your teeth, causes bad breath and can discolour your tongue. The only way to remove these stains is with a professional cleaning in the dentist’s office.
Wisdom Teeth Solutions at United Smiles
Are you experiencing any issues with your wisdom teeth? Better to visit your dentist right away than to keep the pain to yourself! Your doctors at United Smiles have extensive experience in dealing with wisdom tooth problems. We ensure safe and effective dental solutions at the end of the treatment, whether it’s a simple procedure or a complex one such as impacted wisdom teeth.
Our Special Offers
At United Smiles in Mernda, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. We encourage you to take advantage of our latest offers.
Find the offer that suits your dental needs!