Bad breath can be caused by many different factors, and the key to eliminating it is to be able to establish what is actually causing the odour. Only your dental expert can determine whether the source of bad breath is due to dental anomalies or medical conditions. Keep in mind that maintaining good oral health is one of the best practices that can help reduce or eliminate bad breath.
What are the Common Causes of Bad Breath?
Knowing what causes the foul odour in your mouth may help you and your dentist determine the best dental solution for your oral health concern. Here are some culprits that cause bad breath odour:
- Certain foods – Some foods are known to produce unpleasant mouth odour. This includes onions, garlic, and some other spices.
- Smoking and using tobacco products – the smell of cigarette smoke that remains on clothes and hair is solid proof of how its strong substances can undeniably cause bad breath. Other serious effects of smoking include gum disease and oral cancer.
- Gum disease – if you have gum disease, you may also develop bad breath. Gum disease is caused by plaque build-up, and if left untreated, this condition can damage your gums and jawbone in the end.
- Dry mouth – dry mouth or xerostomia affects the saliva flow. Due to lack of saliva, this causes bacteria to accumulate in the mouth resulting in bad breath.
- Oral health problems – different dental problems can also cause bad breath such as poorly fitting dental appliances, cavities, dental decay, wisdom tooth infection, abscess, and yeast infections of the mouth.
- Medical conditions – in some cases, halitosis may be triggered by certain health conditions. Some forms of cancer, as well as metabolic disorders, can generate distinctive mouth odour because of the chemicals they produce.
What is the Effective Solution for Bad Breath?
When you have bad breath, know that a dentist provides the effective and permanent solution to bad breath. Don’t settle for a temporary alternatives such as chewing mint candies and gums to mask the odour. The simpler your solution is the less efficient and reliable the results are.
It’s important to keep your mouth clean and fresh, as a healthy environment in your mouth makes it less likely to produce bad breath. There are two best ways to get rid of bad breath; one is through at-home dental care, and the other involves in-office dental appointments. Combining these two will help solve your discomfort and dilemma of having halitosis.
Good oral hygiene habits at home:
- Brushing twice a day and using dental floss
- Using dentist-recommended mouthwash
- Utilizing a tongue scraper to scrape away the bacteria that causes unpleasant smell
- Dental cleaning at least every six months
- Your dentist may recommend a special toothpaste and mouth rinse to improve the symptoms of bad breath
- If the odour is due to gum disease, the objective is to treat the gum problem
- If bad breath is caused by a medical condition, you may be referred to a physician
During dental visits, your dental team can also provide additional expert advice and guidelines to match your lifestyle. Specific treatment for bad breath depends on the cause.
Bad Breath Treatment in Mernda
Eliminating bad breath not only boosts the quality of your life; it also increases your self-esteem and enhances your ability to connect with others. For the best bad breath treatment in Mernda, visit your dental partners at United Smiles today. We also offer a wide range of dental treatments that help prevent the onset of oral health problems and deliver exceptional dental care services for a healthier smile and a healthier you.
For HCF and CBHS, claim your PAY NO GAP OFFER on dental check-up and clean. Book your appointment online or call us on (03) 8682 8658.