Sweet as the holidays may be, however, sugar-rich treats and drinks can do a number on your pearly whites. At United Smiles, we’ll work with you to make sure you get through the holidays with your dental health intact.
The Dangers of Sugar
Tooth decay forms after sugar’s interaction with the acids produced by natural bacteria living in your mouth. When you consume sugar the bacteria increase the acidity in your mouth. The acid can wear the enamel off your teeth, leaving them weak and vulnerable. Eventually, holes in the enamel will lead to cavities and, if untreated, pain and damage to the tooth.
United Smiles Can Help
The dental professionals at United Smiles will work with you to achieve long-term oral and overall health through the holidays and beyond. Give yourself the best present of the season: a great smile.
Dental Tips for the Holidays
- These are tips, not laws: When trying to stay healthy everybody slips up occasionally. If you are thinking of breaking these rules? Consider bending them instead. Have a little bit of something tasty, but not too much. Then get back to your good health habits!
- Avoid over-sugared, sticky foods: If teeth are coated with sugar, damage can occur. Eating treats that don’t leave sticky residue minimizes damage to teeth. Always try to choose less sticky food. When you do eat sticky food brush your teeth, or at least rinse your mouth out as soon as is possible.
- Make sure to brush and floss: Have a strong dental regimen. Brush twice a day and floss before bed. Make sure to brush for more than two minutes. You can count off numbers in your head, hum, or use music to time your brushing. Or purchase an electronic toothbrush with a built-in timer.
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake: Morning caffeine and evening alcohol can lead to sugar cravings. During the holidays these drinks are always around, and for many reasons you should control your intake of them.
- Have alternatives to sugary snacks and drinks: Holiday snacks and drinks are everywhere. Avoid the problem of sugary items by bringing alternative snacks and drinks with you to events, or choosing healthy snacks if those alternatives are offered.
- Make an appointment at United Smiles: Call us or go online and make an appointment for January. It’s common sense to get things checked and cleaned right after the last of the seasonal excesses. A minor problem at the end of 2016 could become something much bigger if not treated. Ensure that your New Year starts with a clean bill of dental health, by getting a cleaning and check-up.
Start the New Year on a Healthy Note with United Smiles!
United Smiles is conveniently located in the heart of Mernda Village, serving patients from all Melbourne areas. Our office has ample parking at the rear of the building. Wheelchair access is also available at the front of the building.
Call us today on (03) 8682 8658 or book an appointment online.
Our Special Offers
Our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. We encourage you to take advantage of our latest offers. To find out more, visit our special offers page!